So, I have now been in Illinois about four weeks. In that amount of time, I have finished the class portion of my first graduate class, Comics in the Library. The class portion of my class lasted two weeks with class being three hours every day Monday-Friday. The second two weeks are focused on creating a wiki that each student create a page explaining how comic books are used in different aspects of information studies. So, I know it sounds like a really strange/pointless/entertaining class, but it was so fun and it really taught me a lot.
In the two weeks, we went on field trips to three different types of libraries: public, academic, and preservation. We also had several guest speakers, including the author of our text book. During the class I was introduced to a lot of new graphic novels like Persepolis, Blankets, Fables, and Contract with God, as well as several interesting websites. One website even allows students to create a graphic novel with characters that can be clicked and dragged. The class also taught about comic book use in many different forms of libraries, so I was able to see which library format I liked the best. I really liked public libraries, but I also liked academic libraries, museums, and I wanted to learn more about archives. While studying how each library focused on comics, I was able to see how each library functioned. Archives tend to keep the information in boxes and don't care as much about bringing in people to see the information as much as just making sure the information is taken care of. Museums are similar, although they also like to have people come. Academic libraries are focused on collecting all of a particular type of book.
I still like public libraries the most because I would get to work with people every day and I can work on programs for different age groups. I have to worry more about banned books and people asking for books to be taken off the shelf, but at least I would get to work with many different types of people. My particular wiki page is about programming using comics, which I really like since I hope to be able to work in a large public library in the future.
1 comment:
Wow!! Good luck with everything! You will do so great!! Take care. I saw your dad the other day at Deseret Book, he is such a great guy!! He makes me smile.
Post a Comment