Waking up for my first day back at school, I had a sore throat, runny nose, and a cold. Still, I figured the symptoms were partly based on the fact that I wanted to still be on spring break, and the symptoms would go away by the middle of first hour. So, I went to school anyway. I coughed occasionally, but I believed I would be over my cold soon.
The first day after a long vacation is always hard, and I had to raise my voice several times. By 5th hour, I had coughed quite a bit and drank three water bottles. Then, in the middle of a lecture, my voice just stopped working. I kept trying to talk (a teacher has to talk every once in a while, you know). Finally, I had nothing left. One of my students called out, "I want to lose my voice, too!" It was kind of funny, to lose my voice in my most difficult class. Fortunately, the students were quieter than usual today. Maybe my voice amused them enough that they didn't feel the need to amuse themselves in other ways. ;)
Even after not talking for several hours, I still talk with a scratchy voice. My brother Deron started laughing during a conversation with me. Dad offered to come down and buy me a milkshake. Alecia and Lori recommended drinking a lot of honey-lemon. The library ladies where I volunteer told me to go home and get better. So, I will be taking my first sick day because I can't talk. Or I guess I should say, my voice has become rather quiet and breaks easily.
Yet, it is funny to listen to me, if I do say so myself.
2 comments:
Hi Maria. This is Lori Rammell Harris, I am not a blog stalker. I came across your blog through Darcie's.
You are such a neat person and I loved reading your blog and what you have been up to. Your teaching/school experiences reminded me of when I taught 6th grade.
Is it ok if I add you to my blog list???
My blog is private. If you would like to view it email me at jbharris1@msn.com
Take care.
I found you through Lori's blog
:-) I haven't seen you in forever so it was fun to read your blog. I hope you start feeling better and it sounds like maybe you should lose your voice more often with that last class :-)
Post a Comment